This is one of those quick, easy and comfortable traditional dishes that every Polish lady of the house is very proud to serve! :) The benefit of it is the fact that you can modify the recipe in many ways and it always tastes so good. Today I will give you the traditional recipe with a tiny bit of modern twist. My only modification to my mum's original recipe was fortifying a sauce with an extra garlic and a scallop of natural yogurt. Other than that, the taste of it is exactly the same as I remember from being a kid.
For the meatballs:
500g minced pork
1 free-range egg
2-3 tea spoons freshly chopped or dry herbs to season (like marjoram, basil, salt and freshly ground black pepper)
1-2 table spoons bread crumbs
For the tomato-garlic sauce:
1 can tomatoes
2-3 fresh tomatoes (prior to chopping leave them in hot water for 10 minutes, then peel the skin off)
1 tea spoon of tomato paste (optional)
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
salt and freshly ground black pepper according to your taste
1 medium onion
1 table spoon olive oil
1. In a bowl, mix the minced pork with herbs, beaten egg and bread crumbs. Make sure the mixture is nice and smooth. Season it with salt and pepper then place it in a fridge for about 10 mins.
2. Meanwhile, make the tomato-garlic sauce. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the chopped onion and sweat on a gentle heat until soft
3. Add the canned tomatoes, empty can fill in half with water and add it to the sauce too.
4. Chop fresh peeled tomatoes and add it to the sauce together with crushed garlic and sauteed onion. Season it with salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Cook it all covered for about 10-15 minutes until tomatoes soften and the sauce gets its right texture. You may need to use a hand blender to make it nice and smooth.
6. Keep making small round meatballs and place them in a sauce. Sweat covered for another 15-20 minutes on a very gentle heat until meatballs are cooked.
7. Evenly top with a fresh coriander. Serve hot with potato puree, plain rice or pasta (optionally a scallop of natural Greek yogurt). Tastes like heaven and it looks like million dollars to me! lol
Pictures prove it! Enjoy!